President's Message

I Am Feeling Grateful (and Hope You Are, Too!) 

A couple weeks ago the national mid-term elections were completed (and vote counting appears to be finally wrapping up as well). After some acrimonious debate and advertising, I am quite thankful to have this process behind us, for a short time anyway. 

It could also be that we will celebrate Thanksgiving in just a few days. And I’m already anticipating that annual ritual where we go around the room thanking and acknowledging one another for the many gifts each brings to our family. 

As we enter the busy holiday and year-end season, kids’ concert and performance schedules seem to dominate my calendar. And on the evenings when I don’t have to choose between which of those activities to attend, it seems we have an endless stream of fundraising dinners and auctions, celebrations and parties. Each one brings something to be thankful for, even as we endure the stress of fitting it all in. 

Also, just over a week ago our AFP chapter celebrated National Philanthropy Day with more than 400 of our best friends in the Renaissance hotel in downtown Phoenix. This very successful event inspired us all with many awardees stories of how they give so much of their time, talent and treasure to make our community such an amazing place. For that I am grateful. 

We have a number of young professionals who are just completing their year in our AFP chapter mentoring program. In fact, we’ll hear more from them at the December 5th luncheon, along with a presentation by Patricia Lewis, ACFRE, recently retired Professional-in-Residence at ASU’s Lodestar Center. I am so appreciative of all the many professionals who have committed their time and talent over the past year toward this program—as presenters, mentors, and committee members. And applications are now available through December 14th for next year’s class of participants! 

Let’s take a moment also, to reflect on all that our nonprofit sector brings to this community. And let’s appreciate the works of the tireless professionals who raise the dollars that fuel these efforts. 

In short, I am thankful for each of you. 

Wishing all of you a happy Thanksgiving! 

Sincerely,

Chris Sar, CFRE

President, AFP Greater Arizona

Chris_Sar_photo.jpg