President's Message

AFP Greater AZ Chapter

May 2019

Hello!
As we move into the 2nd half our calendar year—I want to give a shout out to your hardworking 2019 Board of Directors. I feel very fortunate to work with these highly talented and passionate professionals. We serve to help you with your professional fundraising needs, assist you in becoming more engaged and help you make the most of your AFP membership.

Chris Sar, CFRE- Past President
Lisa Evans, CFRE- Vice Chair, Education Chair
Heather Carter- Secretary
Alan Knoblach- Treasurer
Patty Barney - National Philanthropy Day Co-Chair
Julianne Simendinger - National Philanthropy Day Co-Chair
Michele Rebeor- Mentoring Committee Co-Chair
Lisa Notaro, CFRE- Mentoring Committee Co-Chair
Jessica Whitney- Diversity Chair
Lynn Badura- Sponsorship Chair
Tami Bohannon, CFRE- Marketing & Communications Chair
Tina Lopez, CFRE- Membership Chair
Darcy Hill- Career Services Chair
Karolyn Kiburz, CMP- Chapter Administrator

I look forward to seeing you all at the June 18 Giving USA event and our July 31 Luncheon & Workshop on Corporate and Foundation Grant Proposals.

MEMBER SPOTLIGHT

This month our spotlight is on Lisa Notaro, CFRE who is the Chief Development and Communications Officer at St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance and a member of our Board of Directors.

lisanotaropic_afpnewsltr0519.jpg

What AFP means to me….

"Being a member of AFP has helped me in my professional career more than I could have ever imagined. In our daily work, we focus so much on our own organization’s issues that we don’t take the time out to network with our peers and learn about the fundraising trends and what others are doing to acquire, cultivate, renew and upgrade donors, both individuals and corporate donors. The best advice I would give to any fundraising professional is to “GET INVOLVED” in AFP. You can get involved a little or a lot - depending on the time you have available and how committed you are to networking and discovering new ways to exceed your goals.

AFP mixers and meetings are a great way to meet a lot of people in a short amount of time. I like to bring a lot of business cards and pass them out. You never know when you’ll make a connection for your next job or to hire someone for an open position. Recently, I needed to hire a junior-level staff member and my connections through AFP helped me get an amazing new employee. Also, meetings and mixers give us nuggets of information but also help us get our creative thinking going. Maybe the exact scenario being talked about isn’t a fit for my organization, but it usually sparks an idea of something that IS a fit for me.

Also, I make it a priority to go to the ICON (the yearly AFP International Conference) every year so I can network with fundraisers from around the country and all over the globe, while visiting an exciting new city (added bonus!). This three-day conference is attended by about 3,000 fundraisers each year. Imagine all of the learning and networking that goes on!

I have always tried to be involved at a deeper level in AFP by joining a committee, sitting on the board or being a mentor through the Mentor Program. This has given me a chance to have a deeper relationship with my peers, while helping our local chapter.

Hands down, the best thing I’ve done through being in AFP is going for my Certified Fundraising Executive credential (CFRE). It takes a while to get it and the test is every bit of four hours long, but, wow, what a sense of accomplishment when I got it! Being a CFRE helps everyone understand that I am serious. My employer knows that “this little fundraising thing I do” isn’t just to pass time, but my career, and donors that see it know that I can help them meet their philanthropic goals. Also, many times, higher-level (and higher-paying) jobs require that the candidate be a CFRE."

Please keep our chapter website bookmarked and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn for all the latest news and event information.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, comments or suggestions you may have.

Sincerely,

Liz Kaplan
President, AFP Greater Arizona Chapter
ekaplan@tgen.org
602-463-1240

thumbnail image

Liz Kaplan
President, AFP Greater Arizona Chapter