AFP South Sound (AFPSS) is fortunate to have many engaged members who make our chapter great! The dedicated members of our chapter committees volunteer their time to assure that we are a success. Committee members have the opportunity to learn, contribute, and shape our chapter.
Committees are always looking for additional volunteers, and serving is a great way to give back to your local AFP chapter and get to know others in the chapter more closely. If you would like to join any of the committees below, please contact the committee chair.
The IDEA Committee works to expand inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) in fundraising in the South Sound.
- Meeting schedule: First Tuesday of the month, 4:30 pm
- Members: Karina Bharne, Symphony Tacoma; Al Hove, Phoenix Risen Consulting; Jean Jensen, Earth Economics; Sue Loiland, Pacific Lutheran University; Lee Warnecke, University of Puget Sound
- Co-Chairs: Rus Batten, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project; Jill Rose, Pierce Country Aids Foundation
Marketing and Communications Committee
The Marketing and Communications Committee shares and promotes chapter opportunities to learn, network and grow; shares resources and information with our members; and increases the visibility of AFP South Sound in our region.
- Meeting schedule: Third Wednesday of the month, 12:30 pm
- Members: Janie Frasier, HopeSparks; Emily Happy, The Philanthropy Collective; Elizabeth Hirschl, Elements of Education; Jim Hushagan, The Philanthropy Collective; Andrea Michelbach, Pacific Lutheran University
- Chair: Mary Brickle, Tacoma Art Museum
The Membership Committee aims to attract, engage and retain members to AFP South Sound. We do this by spreading the word about the impact of our chapter, asking people to participate, and offering opportunities to be involved.
- Meeting schedule: Third Friday of the month, 8 am
- Members: Laurel Carlyle, World Vision; Sally Glover, South Sound Care; Sue Loiland, Pacific Lutheran University
- Chair: Kate Albert Ward, Community Volunteer and AFPSS Admin
The Program Committee seeks to inspire and inform greater professionalism in fundraising practice by planning a diverse mix of educational programs that appeal to our members and friends. Our committee seeks CFRE-approved topics and presenters on par with those at national conferences. We coordinate with the other committees to ensure that AFP South Sound programming and events complement one another and meet ongoing needs for professional knowledge, networking and development.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month, 12 pm
- Members: Angela Beard, City University of Seattle; Jan Brazzell, Advancement Consulting; Jim Greenfield, Retired; Jennie Griek, Children's Museum of Tacoma; Lisa Johnson, The Zoo Society; Ruth Tollefson, Amara; Lee Warnecke, University of Puget Sound
- Chair: Laura Rose, Charles Wright Academy; Missy Zenczak, United Way Pierce County
The South Sound Philanthropy Summit Committee is a joint project of AFP South Sound (AFP SS) and the South Sound Planned Giving Council (SSPGC) formed to plan and execute the annual South Sound Philanthropy Summit. The goal of the Summit is to bring together development, allied professionals, and philanthropists for a day of education and networking.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month; bimonthly Aug/Sept pre-event
- Members: Shelley Buck, Foundations of MultiCare; Robin Echtle, Tacoma Lutheran Home; Laura Edman, The Alford Group; Al Hove, Phoenix Risen Consulting; Rick Oldenburg, Oldenburg & Associations; Doug Page, Pacific Lutheran University; James Plourde, Campbell & Company; Evelyn Ryberg, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation; Susan Schmit, Franciscan Foundation; Dermont Smith, Campbell & Company
- Co-chairs: Emily Happy, The Philanthropy Collective (AFPSS) and Todd Blodgett, Eisenhower Carlson (SSPGC)
Young Professionals Committee
The Young Professional committee seeks to provide opportunities for young development professionals in the South Sound region. We aim to grow the young professional membership category; organize events that share ideas and resources; and provide meaningful input to the AFPSS Board. Young Professional events are focused on peer exchanges through collaboration, networking, and community resource sharing.
Committee Chairs Share Why They Serve