AFP South Sound (AFPSS) is fortunate to have many engaged members who make our chapter great! The dedicated members of our chapter committees volunteer their time to assure that we are a success. Committee members have the opportunity to learn, contribute, and shape our chapter.
Committees are always looking for additional volunteers, and serving is a great way to give back to your local AFP chapter and get to know others in the chapter more closely. If you would like to join any of the committees below, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The IDEA Committee works to expand inclusion, diversity, equity and access (IDEA) in fundraising in the South Sound.
- Meeting schedule: First Tuesday of the month, 4:00 pm
- Members: Kyle Franklin, MultiCare Foundations; Robin Webster, Museum of Flight; Sue Loiland, Pacific Lutheran University
- Chair: Jill Rose, PCAF
Marketing and Communications Committee
The Marketing and Communications Committee shares and promotes chapter opportunities to learn, network and grow; shares resources and information with our members; and increases the visibility of AFP South Sound in our region.
- Meeting schedule: Fourth Wednesday of the month, 12:15 pm
- Members: Jim Hushagan, The Philanthropy Collective; Laura Badeaux, United Way of Pierce County; Sabina Ibragimova, Community Volunteer
- Chair: Mary Brickle, Tacoma Art Museum
"AFP South Sound has been an incredible resource for education, networking, and community building since I first joined the fundraising world. I've loved deepening my knowledge and growing my connections each year. Joining our chapter board was an obvious choice in terms of leadership opportunities - it's easy to serve an organization whose mission you believe in! I'm excited to keep pushing boundaries in our sector and keep working with my colleagues to encourage community-centric fundraising in our community."— Mary Brickle, Marketing and Communications Committee Chair
The Membership Committee aims to attract, engage and retain members to AFP South Sound. We do this by spreading the word about the impact of our chapter, asking people to participate, and offering opportunities to be involved.
- Meeting schedule: Third Friday of the month, 8 am
- Members: Noah Baskett, Leadership Foundations; Sally Glover, South Sound Care; Sue Loiland, Pacific Lutheran University
- Chair: Jennifer Li Dotson, National Bureau of Asian Research; Lila Mowatt, FIRST Washington
"I joined AFP South Sound during a period of personal career transition. I was quickly connected with invaluable professionals and resources in the community to help network. It is an honor to continue this tradition with AFP South Sound and help others on their non profit journeys."
— Lila Mowatt, Membership Committee Co-Chair
“As a new resident from Honolulu to Tacoma, I was welcomed with open arms (and several pints of local craft beverages) by the wonderful members of AFP South Sound. Each person offered extremely valuable advice, guidance, training, friendship and mentorship as I settled into my new job and new community. Serving on the AFP South Sound board is my way of paying it forward to the organization that has made the biggest impact on my professional and personal life during an otherwise very difficult transition.”
— Jennifer Li Dotson, Membership Committee Co-Chair
The Program Committee seeks to inspire and inform greater professionalism in fundraising practice by planning a diverse mix of educational programs that appeal to our members and friends. Our committee seeks CFRE-approved topics and presenters on par with those at national conferences. We coordinate with the other committees to ensure that AFP South Sound programming and events complement one another and meet ongoing needs for professional knowledge, networking and development.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month, 12 pm
- Members: Angela Beard, City University of Seattle; Jan Brazzell, Advancement Consulting; Jim Greenfield, Retired; Jennie Griek, Children's Museum of Tacoma; Jim Hushagen, The Philanthropy Collective; Ruth Tollefson, Amara; Lee Warnecke, University of Puget Sound
- Co-Chairs: Laura Rose, Charles Wright Academy; Missy Zenczak Candler, United Way Pierce County
“AFP is a wonderful resource for fundraising professionals that are looking to connect, learn, grow, and support each other. I believe that AFP makes us better fundraisers and stewards to our donors. I feel fortunate and honored to be a part of a group of such supportive and esteemed professionals.
”— Missy Zenczak Candler, Program Committee Co-Chair
The South Sound Philanthropy Summit Committee is a joint project of AFP South Sound (AFP SS) and the South Sound Planned Giving Council (SSPGC) formed to plan and execute the annual South Sound Philanthropy Summit. The goal of the Summit is to bring together development, allied professionals, and philanthropists for a day of education and networking.
- Meeting schedule: First Monday of each month; bimonthly Aug/Sept pre-event
- Members: Shelley Buck, Foundations of MultiCare; Kim Cacace, BNY Mellon Wealth Management; Robin Callahan, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation; Al Hove, Phoenix Risen Consulting; Tamar Jackson, Workforce Central; Tali Lavarry, Yum Yum Morale; Matt Martinez, KNKX; Rick Oldenburg, Oldenburg & Associations; Doug Page, Pacific Lutheran University; James Plourde, JP Fundraising Solutions; Evelyn Ryberg, Greater Tacoma Community Foundation; Desiree Wilkins-Finch, Rise LWP
- Co-Chairs: Emily Happy, The Philanthropy Collective (AFPSS) and Todd Blodgett, Eisenhower Carlson (SSPGC)
"AFP South Sound is my go-to for superior development education. Along with the growth and learning comes the camaraderie of many caring professionals-- we are truly a collaborative and supportive community. It is my privilege to serve on the board and lead the South Sound Philanthropy Summit committee efforts."— Emily Happy, Summit Committee Co-Chair
Young Professionals Committee
The Young Professional committee seeks to provide opportunities for young development professionals in the South Sound region. We aim to grow the young professional membership category; organize events that share ideas and resources; and provide meaningful input to the AFPSS Board. Young Professional events are focused on peer exchanges through collaboration, networking, and community resource sharing.