Company: Virginia Health Care Foundation
Date Posted: April 25, 2018
This is a dynamic time in the world of healthcare with everything changing in the quest to improve care, achieve positive outcomes and reduce costs. Technology now provides the capacity to target specific high cost and high risk populations for meaningful interventions. There is an increased understanding and focus on the impact of behavioral health and social determinants of health on patients’ well-being. At the same time, there are still 563,000 uninsured Virginians. The majority have nowhere to turn for treatment when they become ill.
The Virginia Health Care Foundation (VHCF) works in the midst of all of this – helping eligible Virginians apply for state-sponsored health insurance; supporting the establishment or expansion of health safety net clinics and health centers to treat the uninsured; growing key components of Virginia’s healthcare workforce; providing tools to obtain needed medicines free or at discounted rates; and stimulating collaboration and adoption of new best practices in service delivery.
VHCF is a nonprofit public/private partnership initiated by Virginia’s General Assembly and its Joint Commission on Health Care in 1992. It is dedicated to increasing access to primary health care for uninsured and medically underserved Virginians. VHCF receives an annual state appropriation, which it is expected to supplement with funding from the private sector.
The Fund Development Manager plays an integral role in the Foundation’s operations and helps implement key aspects of VHCF’s strategic plan. S/he will also prepare for many initiatives related to Medicaid expansion, should it occur.
The Fund Development Manager is responsible for maintaining and expanding the Virginia Health Care Foundation’s fund development activities. This position is responsible for creating and implementing strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a diverse base of private and public funders.
Areas of responsibility include: 1) development, implementation and evaluation of VHCF’s Fund Development Plan; 2) planning and oversight of signature events; 3) supervision of and coordination with VHCF’s Fund Development & Communications Coordinator; 4) staffing the Board’s Fund Development Committee; and 5) developing and working within a budget.
The Fund Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and works collegially with VHCF’s outstanding team. The salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The benefits package is excellent.
In fulfilling this role, the Fund Development Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Creating and executing a strategic plan for fund development, in conjunction with the Executive Director and Fund Development Committee, which will raise and increase revenues to support the strategic growth of VHCF.
- Researching and identifying prospects, engaging in selected meetings with potential donors, and writing proposals and/or letters to corporations, foundations, and other potential funders.
- Maintaining VHCF’s involvement with the Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign and other similar programs, including the Neighborhood Assistance Program.
- Coordinating and overseeing donor correspondence and electronic gift tracking and stewardship activities such as preparing reports, invoices and gift acknowledgements.
- Preparing and/or coordinating preparation of required reports to donors.
- Evaluating the efficacy and results of VHCF’s fund development efforts.
- Engaging in all programmatic and logistical aspects of VHCF’s annual Health Safety Net Legislative Day, including development of informational materials, soliciting participation, identifying appropriate gift and message, and execution of the event.
- Planning and overseeing the implementation of VHCF’s annual Heroes in Health Care event, including theme, logistics, sponsorships, awards, and all other activities necessary to host a successful event.
- Identifying and overseeing any other special events that may benefit VHCF.
- Planning the agendas, preparing the reports for, and staffing the Board’s quarterly Fund Development Committee meetings.
- Preparing reports for the Board’s quarterly meetings on progress with fund development goals and activities, and staffing the chair of the Fund Development Committee so s/he is appropriately prepared.
- Engaging in and working with VHCF’s Boards of Trustees and Advisors to increase exposure and funding for VHCF via the annual Trustee/Advisor Campaign, and other activities as opportunities arise.
- Developing an annual budget for VHCF’s fund development and marketing activities.
- Monitoring expenditures and operating within a budget.
Supervision of VHCF’s Fund Development & Communications Coordinator
- Supervising, coordinating and working collegially with VHCF’s Fund Development & Communications Coordinator to implement identified aspects of VHCF’s fund development and marketing plans; to help develop and oversee creation of VHCF’s annual report; to staff the External Affairs Committee; and carry out other aspects of VHCF’s advancement and communications efforts as needed.
Coordination with the Executive Director, Finance Director and Other VHCF Staff
The Fund Development Manager is responsible for ongoing coordination with the:
- Executive Director to ensure that VHCF’s fund development activities are synchronistic with and complementary to the overall direction of VHCF, the various initiatives which VHCF is undertaking, and established relationships with existing partners, donors and the media.
- Finance Director to ensure the timely and accurate recording of any gifts and gift restrictions or special directions; and to track and monitor program expenditures.
- Senior Management Team and program personnel to stay updated on the progress of key programs, and to obtain any information or assistance necessary to fulfill fund development responsibilities.
The Fund Development Manager may be responsible for undertaking other responsibilities or special projects at the direction or request of the Board of Trustees or Executive Director. Examples of these activities include:
- Staffing designated Board committees and preparing associated issue briefs;
- Assisting with the preparation of materials for Board retreats; and
- Providing leadership and or/oversight for various initiatives as the opportunities arise.
4-year degree; advanced degree preferred. 5+ years of increasing responsibility in nonprofit fundraising. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Experience in grantwriting and special events planning and management. Ability to effectively manage and complete assignments independently. Strong attention to detail and accuracy. The ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint important. Experience with a fundraising database or software a plus.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume, writing samples, and salary requirements via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Fund Development Manager Position.” This position will be open until filled.
Thank you for your interest in the Virginia Health Care Foundation! VHCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.