Open AFP San Diego Scholarships:
- CFRE Exam/Application Scholarship – Apply Now
- Colette M. Murray Fellows Scholarship – Apply Now
- Emerging Nonprofit Scholarship – Apply Now
Deadline for all Applications: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Scholarship Details and Criteria:Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE)
The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential demonstrates an individual’s mastery of the standards set for core knowledge and skills required of fundraising executives after three years of experience. This practice-based designation requires demonstration of having met these standards through both an application and a written examination. The Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) credential provides you with a recognizable demonstration of your personal and professional achievement and commitment. This scholarship awards $700 to help cover the cost of the application and exam. CFRE Scholarship Criteria:
Colette M. Murray Fellows Scholarship
- Be an AFP San Diego Chapter member in good standing for at least the past two years.
- Have served on at least one AFP committee.
- Have recommendation from at least one AFP board member
- Be employed as a full-time fundraising professional (or, if candidate is an executive director, at least 50 percent of time must be devoted to fundraising.)
- Cover any difference there may be between the scholarship and the cost of the CFRE Exam and application fees.
- Agree to complete an evaluation form about my experience within three months of the CFRE Exam and submit it to the AFP Scholarship Chair.
- Agree to mentor an AFP member within two years of taking the exam
The Colette M. Murray Fellows Scholarship is an outreach initiative of the AFP San Diego Chapter to encourage diversity within our profession. The scholarship offers incentives, education, tools, and resources to San Diego County nonprofit employees who either work in or serve diverse communities. The Chapter’s ultimate goal is to encourage greater numbers of persons from diverse communities and/or serving diverse communities to become active members of AFP San Diego, AFP International, and our profession. Awardees of the Colette M. Murray fellowship receive the following benefits for two years:
- Complimentary annual AFP International/San Diego Chapter membership for two years (currently valued at $340 per year)
- Complimentary admittance to monthly chapter programs (10 scheduled each year; approximate value: $500)
- Complimentary participation in the AFP San Diego Mentorship Program
- Complimentary ticket to annual AFP National Philanthropy Day (approximate value: $100)
Eligible applicants must:
- Be employed a minimum of 20 hours a week for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in San Diego County;
- Spend at least 50% of their time on fundraising duties and responsibilities;
- Have no more than three years’ experience in the fundraising profession;
- Be a part of a diverse community or fundraising for an organization serving a diverse community;
- Not be a current member of AFP
- Commit to continuing paid membership in AFP at the conclusion of the two-year Fellows Program;
- Have the full support of their supervisor and their organization’s leadership to participate in this two-year educational program;
- Attend chapter luncheons, workshops, programs and events;
- Participate as a volunteer for National Philanthropy Day and the AFP International Conference when it is hosted in San Diego.
Emerging Nonprofit Scholarship
The Emerging Nonprofit Scholarship provides AFPSD programs at a reduced rate. Our goal is to increase community access, participation and membership in AFPSD for organizations that may normally be unable to participate. Each year, five organizations will be able to send a combination of two staff and/or board members to their choice of four monthly programs at a reduced rate and to an unlimited number of webinars.Emerging Organizations Scholarship Criteria:
- The AFPSD Scholarship for Smaller Nonprofits is open to 501(c)(3) organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Has at least two full-time employees
- Operates in San Diego County with a budget of $500,000 or less
- Is not currently a member of AFPSD
- Agrees to upload their organization’s most recent 990
Chamberlain Scholarship - Not available for 2020
This scholarship is designed to help individuals develop their fundraising knowledge and skills through participation in the AFP International Conference (AFP ICON). The Chamberlain Scholarship covers the Conference registration fee (less $10) and provides $750 toward travel and lodging for one AFP San Diego Chapter member. The Candidate must be a fundraising professional who has never attended an AFP International Conference.Chamberlain Scholarship Criteria:
Check back in 2021 for the next Chamberlain Scholarship cycle!
- Candidate must be a member of AFP San Diego Chapter.
- Candidate is employed full-time as a fundraising professional, or, if the candidate is an executive director, at least 50% of his or her time must be devoted to fundraising.
- Candidate has never attended an AFP or NSFRE International Conference on Fundraising as a registered participant (unless as a member of the Conference Host Committee).
- Candidate is responsible for covering the $10 difference for the Conference registration fee.
- Candidate is responsible for submitting receipts to AFP San Diego for travel and lodging reimbursement up to $750. Expenses incurred outside of travel and lodging or travel and lodging expenses incurred beyond $750 will be covered by the scholarship recipient.
- Candidate must agree to complete an online evaluation form and write a short report on his or her experience following the Conference to share with the AFP San Diego membership.
- Financial need will be considered when selecting the scholarship recipient. Those candidates whose personal and/or organizational financial position might prohibit their attendance will receive special consideration.
Questions? Please contact Katie Gomez, Chapter Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (760) 518-0776.