The Chamberlain Scholarship program honors Ralph E. Chamberlain, CFRE. Mr. Chamberlain had a long and distinguished career of service to the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), beginning in the 1960s when the organization was formed as the National Society of Fund Raisers (NSFR), through the late 1970s when the name was changed to the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE), and until his death in 1999. Mr. Chamberlain’s dedication to the organization we now know as AFP never faltered in his long volunteer career with the Association. Because of his long-time support of the Foundation’s annual fund and generous planned gift, the AFP Board of Directors renamed their Conference Scholar Program in 2000 to honor Mr. Chamberlain’s memory and commitment to the Association.
There are only three criteria for being eligible to receive this award:
- You are employed as a full-time professional fundraiser or spend at least 50% of your time fundraising for your employer.
- You have never attended and NSFRE/AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
- You are a current member of AFP.
2019 Chamberlain Application. Chamberlain Scholarship Policy.
2018 Chamberlain Scholarship Recipient
A note from Devin:
Hi, friends! I had such an amazing time at the conference in New Orleans. I met some new people, ate fabulous food, enjoyed some RAIN, and got to hear from so many of our colleagues about the latest tips and trends to be a better fundraising professional. I've made it home and am truly inspired to keep fighting the good fight.
As your 2018 Chamberlain Scholar, my first step is to share a few key takeaways with all of you:
- Tax Reform: AFP National is working hard and lobbying for a Universal Charitable Deduction. While they don't anticipate it happening this year, they're hopeful with the bipartisan support they already have that it is a possibility. How can you help? They need data! Please take the time to fill out any surveys they send out on how this is effecting our profession. Talk to local and state representatives. Stay informed!
- A NEW AFP Website and Chapter Platforms are anticipated by the end of the year!
- AFP is offering 70% off application fees to become an ACFRE through Mid-October!
- 7 Attributes of a GREAT fundraiser:
- Commitment to a cause
- Thinks long-term
- Sets an outstanding culture of learning
- Makes their people and teams awesome
- Inculcates system thinking
- Manages updard
- Develops PRIDE on the part of the organization in it's fundraising and fundraisers
I have a ton of handouts, PowerPoint presentations, and book recommendations that I would be happy to share. Just let me know if there is something specific you're interested in!
I can't tell you all how honored I am to have received this year's Chamberlain Scholarship. Attending this conference would not have been a possibility without this it. And it definitely would NOT be possible without Be the Cause!
Thank you all for your support!
- Devin McCain