Job Title: Executive Director of Blue Grass Farms Charities
Reports To: Board of Directors
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Compensation: Starting salary $60K annually with incentives to be paid quarterly
Founded in 2003, Blue Grass Farms Charities (BGFC) is a unique Central Kentucky 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to serving those that work in all aspects of the Thoroughbred Industry. Programs focus on benevolence, referrals and partnerships, services and events for workers and their families in need.
The Executive Director is an executive management position that reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the overall strategic and operational management for BGFC staff, programs, growth, and successful execution of its mission.
- Meet or exceed annual revenue goals.
- Plan, implement and manage all internal and external fundraising events.
- Serve as staff lead on fundraisers conducted by outside organizers (third party) by identifying and cultivating opportunities and stewarding existing relationships.
- Identify and facilitate application for appropriate grant opportunities
- Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with BGFC’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
FUNDRAISING- 50% of the time should be spent in fundraising. This would include direct mail marketing and face to face major gift solicitations. Direct mail marketing/annual giving would include messaging, developing the mail and/or email graphics and copy and scheduling of each mailing. Annual giving efforts should be ¼ of the time and ¾ of the time should be spent meeting face-to-face with prospective donors and developing awareness and affinity for the organization and solicitations. Board members will accompany or open doors for the executive director.
- Create and implement a comprehensive annual and multi-year Fund Development Plan. Set goals, strategies and support for successful execution.
- Lead all fundraising activities measures, monitor results and help the Board evaluate the effectiveness of the organizations fundraising program.
BOARD GOVERNANCE- 30% of the time should be spent on Board actions. This includes the preparation for and execution of regular Board meetings. Communication with the Board should include personal visits and discussions with each member one-on-one and as a group. Dependent upon the organizations by-laws, the executive director should participate in the recruitment of new Board members. Transparent and regular communications regarding financial statements, fundraising efforts and personnel should take place between the executive director and the Board. The executive director should provide guidance and in some cases, training, for Board members to carry out the mission of the organization.
LEADERSHIP- 20% of the time should be spent as the Leader of the organization. Supervise staff and maintain day to day activities of the organization. This would include financial management and personnel supervision.
- Participate with the Board in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization, act as a professional advisor.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization along with board leadership to enhance the organizations community profile
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Develop strategic partnerships with others in the community to fill in the gaps where resources are needed.
- Promote BGFC resources to help families in need in accordance with the organization’s Mission.
- Lead, coach, develop and retain BGFC staff.
- Establish performance responsibility for BGFC staff, programs, fundraising, growth and successful execution of its mission.
EDUCATIONAL AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public relations, Strategic Communications, Marketing, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of development experience.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Windows, MS Office, Excel and Word.
- Experience with special event, promotional campaign planning and execution.
- Annual, capital giving experience and planned giving experience preferred.
- Demonstrated record of being detail orientated, having strong organizational and time management skills, the ability to prioritize workloads, the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team situation to meet multiple competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with digital media including website design and management as well as social media platforms.
- Leadership skills and the ability to motivate and direct volunteer labor force.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Desire to provide a high level of service and hospitality.
Reliable transportation and automobile insurance, signed confidentiality agreement, pass criminal background check and drug test, attendance at occasional early morning, evening and weekend events.
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter to our search committee by email to: Bgfc04@gmail.com. No phone calls please. An equal opportunity employer