Job Title: Vice-President, Resource Development
Manager’s Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Department: Resource Development
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time Exempt
United Way of the Bluegrass (UWBG) works to create the opportunity for all members of our community to have a better life. We focus on the building blocks of a good life — a quality education, financial stability for individuals and families, and good health. We bring together the voices, the expertise and the resources to define, articulate and implement a common agenda for change for our region. That is what it means to "Live United" in Central Kentucky.
The Vice President of Resource Development (VPRD) serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the organization. In partnership with the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities including all aspects of staff fundraising plans. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to grow United Way of the Bluegrass’s impact and financial resources. The VPRD is responsible for the development and execution of strategies to cultivate, solicit, and steward philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
The VPRD will have primary responsibility to manage the infrastructure needed to sustain and grow our budget through corporate partners, corporate engagement, work-place giving, major gifts, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, grants, planned giving, affinity groups and development services and sponsorships. The VPRD will expand and diversify UWBG donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VPRD will work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
- Support and partner with President & CEO and Board of Directors on all major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the President & CEO, Vice President of Finance and Administration, and Board Committees to develop and implement UWBG’s financial strategy.
- Develop and monitor UWBG’s revenue goals and budgets with key managers to meet and exceed organizational and community goals and needs.
- Build highly successful team of resource development officers, effectively managing and holding them accountable with annual measurable goals and objectives.
- Provide ongoing leadership and support to Resource Development team to identify future leaders and encourage professional growth.
- Ensure Resource Development team has leadership and staff skills, tools, resources, and training to be successful.
- Develop, monitor, and manage Resource Development departmental expense budgets within constraints of UWBG’s financial plans.
- Review and participate in the development of all major proposals and grants submitted.
- Provide strong leadership and direction to maintain and grow a major gift portfolio and to build major, transformational, leadership, planned giving, corporate, and other donor pipelines.
- Develop and implement a strong acknowledgement and stewardship program aimed at building deeper relationships with donors at every giving level.
- Uphold UWBG’s brand and image through enthusiastic and positive interactions.
- Inspire donors to see UWBG as the nonprofit that harnesses the power of communities working together to deliver innovative and effective solutions that create change that lasts.
- Proactively support major gifts, donor engagement, and corporate engagement efforts to identify and cultivate key donors and prospects.
- Work with the marketing team to create development materials, tools, and other necessary collateral supporting major gifts, grants, planned giving, campaigns, events, and other efforts.
- Collaborate with the Collective Impact (CI) team to align donor interests with CI strategies, products and opportunities.
- Productively manage time by spending appropriate time out-of-office meeting with key individual donors.
- Professionally represent and share the mission of UWBG at city, business, government, and volunteer events and activities and, as needed, during nights and weekends.
- Possess proficiency with Microsoft Office and databases; experience with fundraising databases a must.
- Develop and execute engagement plans and revenue forecasts in Andar and track actions and performance metrics (personal and team’s) progress towards revenue goals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
CORE UNITED WAY COMPETENCIES
❖MISSION-FOCUSED - A top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This competency drives performance and professional motivations.
❖RELATIONSHIP ORIENTED - Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
❖COLLABORATOR - Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
❖RESULTS-DRIVEN - Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
❖BRAND STEWARD - A steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT COMPETENCIES
❖TALENT MANAGEMENT & PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT - Builds and leads a diverse team, Hires the right people; Demands high performance and results; Ensures people’s work is aligned with mission and strategy. Is open to new ideas; Invests time and resources in training, development, and succession for the department
❖EFFECTIVE FUNDRAISING - The VPRD is donor-focused and results-driven, with a relentless focus on gaining financial resources to support United Way’s mission and community impact strategic objectives. Sets ambitious yet realistic goals; Connects donors’ and prospects’ interests directly to United Way’s work. Creates a strong case for support and successfully “sells” the idea, program, or funding opportunity to donor and/or supporter. Inspires commitment and support for United Way.
❖STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT - The VPRD develops and maintains strategic relationships that generate the financial resources necessary to support United Way’s mission. Builds trust and donor commitment to United Way. Creates win-win relationships; engages with donors year-round, not just during campaign season, to nurture and enhance relationships. Displays cultural knowledge and sensitivities and applies that knowledge to fundraising efforts. Is visible with donors and community leaders.
❖ENTREPRENEURIAL AND INNOVATIVE – The VPRD creatively seeks new opportunities to generate revenue and other resources that add greater value to the organization and the community including the ability to understand and contribute to the product development process, able to assess donor’s interest, and accurately convey those to cross-functional team. Identifies, anticipates, and adapts to changing market trends and business needs. Understands challenges and opportunities in the business environment; Focuses on continuous improvement
❖BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND SALES - The VPRD plans, implements, and evaluates business development and sales efforts. Uses multiple methods and various sources of information to identify and approach prospective donors and maintains positive relationships with existing donors. Collaborates with Community Impact Department (CI). Engages CI in donor engagement and fundraising by learning details of current community impact solutions. Shares information with CI about donor needs and interests to improve existing products and create new ones.
❖VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT - The VPRD works with the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and Vice President of Community Impact to build organizational capacity through volunteer collaboration and to develop high impact, meaningful volunteer opportunities that increase revenue, impact, outcomes, and influence.
- 5-10 years of direct fundraising experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Work experience in fundraising environment and a comprehensive knowledge of the science of fundraising. Experience working with volunteers and knowledge of United Way operations (is a plus).
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and follow through. Achievement oriented; shows initiative and enthusiasm while demonstrating uncompromising responsibility, courage and self-confidence, even in the face of difficulties.
- Goals and results driven, must have excellent relationship and communication skills, both oral and written. Proven track record of raising significant dollars.
- Demonstrated success in leading major fundraising initiatives or comparable activities.
- Expert knowledge of fundraising cycle and moves management.
- Proven ability to direct, lead, coach, and mentor team in achieving organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to build positive and engaging relationships.
- Strong public and persuasive presentation skills in one-on-one, small- and large-group settings.
- Ability to work with diverse groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field (e.g. business, communications, nonprofit management, etc.).
- Experience with CRM (Andar preferred).
- Proficient with Google and Microsoft Suites
The employee is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The employee must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare and analyze data and figures, operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The employee is required to travel regularly to locations outside of UWBG facilities to set up displays and presentations in both physical and electronic forms. The employee must have the ability to lift, carry, push, and/or pull objects weighing up to 50lbs.
The position is full-time and exempt, with full benefits. Salary range: $70,000 - $90,000. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com