MUSEUM OF THE SOUTHWEST
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Community Engagement is responsible for planning and implementing the Museum of the Southwest’s relationship-building, fundraising, marketing and branding activities by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual, corporate, nonprofit and foundation supporters, partners and donors, as well as planning and implementing community and fundraising events. The Director of Community Engagement supervises the Marketing Manager and the Membership Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Relationships and Development:
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Operations Director to set engagement and fundraising goals in support of the Museum’s programs, exhibitions and administrative operations;
- Building relationships with a variety of constituencies (including government agencies, foundations, corporations, other nonprofits and individuals) by working closely with the Executive Director, Board and other friends of the Museum to identify the linkage, ability and interest of potential new friends and supporters of the Museum;
- Nurturing relationships with existing and new friends and supporters and key influential parties through drafting donor stewardship, acknowledgement and thank you letters, and with periodic phone calls or visits;
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Operations Director to set annual engagement and fundraising goals, and leading and supervising the development team to meet fundraising goals by creating an annual comprehensive fundraising, marketing and membership plan, including associated budgets;
- Working with Museum staff colleagues to align exhibition, educational and other programmatic goals with funding opportunities, including ensuring that such programs have assessable outcomes;
- Leading, while collaborating with the Operations Director and appropriate volunteer committees, the scheduling, organization and implementation of all significant community and fundraising events;
- Planning and participating in donor solicitations with the Executive Director, Board and/or campaign committee members;
- Maintaining an annual grants calendar, supervising or writing and submitting grant proposals and following up with any necessary reports;
- Working with the Membership Manager to build robust individual and corporate membership programs, and to facilitate exclusive experiences for members of the Museum’s President’s Club;
- Managing the City of Midland hotel/motel tax reimbursement; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Marketing and Branding:
- Implementing strategic plan initiatives designed to build and share with the community a positive, unique identity for the Museum;
- Working with the Marketing Manager to promote a positive image of the Museum to donors, members, visitors and the community, and maintaining a close and positive relationship with media outlets;
- Ensuring the Museum presents a consistent and high-quality brand through development and implementation of the Museum’s continuity guidelines; and
- Working with the Marketing and Membership Managers to create promotional materials for the Museum, including oversight of the Museum’s social media accounts, editing/approving printed newsletters, eNewsletter and other electronic or printed materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with tact and diplomacy;
- A friendly, courteous, helpful and professional attitude, and a willingness and ability to be responsive to colleagues, members, donors, Board members and volunteers;
- Understanding of prospect development and donor management techniques, and ability to track fundraising industry trends to ensure the Museum is using best practices and ethical approaches in fundraising;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs desirable;
- Budget management experience preferred;
- Knowledge of the Permian Basin philanthropic community preferred;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Excel and Word, required; and
- Ability to work some evening and weekend events and programs required.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Experience in development in the museum, nonprofit or other related field preferred; and
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
Please apply via indeed.com or send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “MSW Director of Community Engagement Position” as the subject line.