2020 Outstanding Innovative Project

NPD_Sig_Hor_Color.jpg

PORTLAND HOMELESS FAMILY SOLUTIONS
2020 Outstanding Innovative Project

Portland Homeless Family Solutions (PHFS) has been on the forefront of innovation in the homeless family system for over a decade, including pioneering rapid re-housing, homeless prevention, and trauma informed practice. Portland Homeless Family Solutions serves families with children under the age of 18.

In December of 2019 after raising over $5 million in less than two years, PHFS opened Family Village in the Lents neighborhood, the first shelter of its kind in Oregon employing trauma-informed design and architecture which is proven to help families get out of shelter faster and have more success getting into housing. PHFS engaged a group of current and past shelter residents to help plan the space, which includes private family bedrooms, as well as shared living, kitchen and play areas, case management, re-housing resources, homeless prevention, adult life skills classes, domestic violence advocacy and mental health resources.

As a result of the new campus, 170 families per year will receive shelter and prepare for permanent housing and 85% of the families that find permanent housing will be able to retain that housing for at least one year.

PHFS works with moms like Angela, who, along with her four children, experienced homelessness after a experiencing an increase in her rent. “Portland Homeless Family Solutions helped me rethink my whole situation. I took classes, learned how to budget, learned my rights as a tenant, and learned how to set and reach goals. PHFS changed my life and my whole situation. My goal is to come back to PHFS one day and inspire others to improve their lives.” With PHFS’ help, Angela and her children moved into a townhouse in Southeast Portland.

PHFS is redefining what it means to provide shelter to families experiencing homelessness by providing shelter that builds dignity, restores power, and promotes autonomy for the families staying there.

2020 PHILANTHROPY AWARDS PRESENTING SPONSOR

OSU_Foundation_horizontal_2C_O_over_B_RGB.jpg

2020 PHILANTHROPY AWARDS PRESIDENTIAL SPONSOR

2020 PHILANTHROPY AWARDS HONOREE SPONSOR

OCF