Advance your Mission and Join Today
Today’s philanthropic landscape is rapidly changing. Nonprofit organizations and the professionals who support them must develop smart and engaging fundraising strategies that leverage new and emerging forms of giving. The Association of Fundraising Professionals Washington, DC Metro Area Chapter (AFP DC) exists to give regional fundraisers the hands-on strategies, tools and best practices they need to advance their organization’s missions and to grow professionally.
AFP DC membership is made up of more than 1,000 in-house fundraisers, fundraising consultants, and regional philanthropists representing nearly 600 national and regional nonprofits. AFP DC gives members the knowledge, tools, and community they need to put learned strategies into practice:
- We connect all levels of fundraising professionals with leaders in our field.
- We educate by providing professional training to help individuals lead healthy, effective, and ethic-based nonprofit organizations.
- We lead by making sense of the trends.
AFP Membership - An Investment in Yourself
In these challenging times, remember that you and your organization are not at the mercy of the economy. The decisions you make have more influence on your organization’s fundraising success than anything the economy might do.
Now, more than ever, you must invest in yourself! And it’s your professional community the Association of Fundraising Professionals that can offer you the best resources—at the best value for your membership dollar—to help you and your organization succeed.
What can AFP provide to help you succeed?
- Inspiration for meeting the challenges of today. AFP’s Fundraising in a Difficult Economy and online Fundraising Survival Kit brings together the best advice from fundraisers around the world on how to connect with donors in the current environment.
- Specific and individualized knowledge to advance your fundraising department. AFP’s Fundraising Resource Center responds to your unique requests with articles, resources, and samples that give you what you need as well as special AFP conferences and events focus on the increasingly important specializations within the field.
- The best training and education in the field. AFP offers a myriad of continuing education opportunities for all fundraisers, regardless of experience level or specialty, and most can help you attain your certification to demonstrate your commitment to and expertise in the profession.
- New ideas and latest trends in the profession. Between our weekly eWire/eWire Skill Builder, the bimonthly Advancing Philanthropy and our constantly updated website, AFP keeps you current on happenings and innovations that will affect you now and in the future.
- Networking with colleagues and access to experts in the field. AFP Web conferences let you hear from the most experienced practitioners in fundraising, and online forums let you talk directly with fundraisers with a wealth of practical, how-to knowledge. Networking through your local chapter can bring new opportunities every day!
- Benchmarks for success and future growth. AFP research data, such as the State of Fundraising Survey and Compensations and Benefits Analysis, show how you and your organization stack up in the profession and how to proceed to find even greater success.
AFP also isn’t just an investment in you and your professional career. Your whole organization benefits from the programs available through AFP membership. Success today for charities means:
- Showing the public your commitment to ethics and accountability. AFP’s Ethics program, featuring our Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and The Donor Bill of Rights, is the most respected in the world and underscores what you and your organization do to steward not just the public’s money, but its trust as well.
- Reaching out to a growing and diverse donor base. AFP’s diverse resources not only help organizations reach out to different audiences but also help build inclusive boards that can more effectively serve different populations.
- Understanding how public policy affects the work of fundraising and charities. AFP is the leader in educating government on how fundraising really works and what charities need to succeed. Our public policy program works for stronger philanthropic incentives for your organization and a streamlined oversight system that protects legitimate organizations while rooting out the bad apples.
- Developing fundraising leadership. Successful boards and staff that know and appreciate fundraising are key ingredients to success. AFP’s executive programs develop management and leadership skills and help forge the critical bonds between staff and board that result in exceeding fundraising goals.