Date Posted 01/03/2020PPSNE Chief Development Officer
The mission of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England (PPSNE) is to protect the fundamental right of all individuals to manage their own fertility and sexual health, and to ensure access to the services, education, and information to realize that right.
PPSNE provides a wide range of reproductive and sexual health care services at 17 health centers which serve more than 78,000 men and women each year in Connecticut and Rhode Island. An incredible staff of community educators reach tens of thousands of youth, parents, educators, and health care workers with vital information on health, relationships and sexually-transmitted infections. Whether the fight is in the headlines or the back rooms of the state Capitol, PPSNE is there with a cadre of activists and strong coalitions giving life and voice to legislative and political initiatives.Position Summary
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be an inspiring leader and donor-centered strategist with a deep commitment to women’s health, reproductive freedom, and social justice to join a leading Planned Parenthood affiliate and help shape the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people. The CDO will lead and manage a dynamic 8 person team responsible for all PPSNE fundraising activities in Connecticut and Rhode Island, including major giving, direct mail programs, planned giving, capital campaign, PPVotes! (C4) fundraising, and special events. The CDO will report directly to the President/Chief Executive Officer, working directly with the CEO to support and grow the CEO’s donor portfolio. The CDO is a critical member of the Executive Leadership Team of PPSNE.
The successful CDO will be a collaborative leader with a history of working across functions successfully. The CDO will partner directly with the Chief External Affairs Officer and the rest of the Executive Leadership team in working towards advancing a culture of philanthropy and driving deeper engagement with all PPSNE constituents. PPSNE has a number of key development priorities including:
• Substantially growing our development program (FY19 program raised nearly $8M) through building our major donor program and implementing innovative new programs to bring new donors to PPSNE
• Considering a capital campaign in sync with our 100 year anniversary
• Inspiring support from the people representative of our prioritized communities
This is an incredible opportunity for a motivating leader and strong manager who is ready to inspire a passion for philanthropy in others.Essential Job Functions
Leads the development of an agency-wide strategic vision and action plan for fund development (both annual and special campaigns) that includes engagement of all PPSNE constituents. Plays an active role in:
• Developing funding sources and cultivating and maintaining donor relations;
• Identifying new donors and expanding donor engagement across communities in our geography;
• Driving fund development activities for not only PPSNE, but also for the C4 organizations, Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island;
• Overseeing special events including the Spring Luncheon in Fairfield County, CT, the Champions event in Providence, RI, and several additional annual events to support both the C3 and the C4s.
Manages the development team (currently 8 staff), including supervising the Director of Philanthropy, Director of Operations, and Director of Donor Engagement, and has dotted line supervision of the Private Grants Manager and ensures successful administration of all development functions.
Develops annually the staffing, capacity, and resource needs to meet the development objectives PPSNE sets forth.
Promotes dynamic collaboration amongst all teams across PPSNE, including strengthening the alignment of goals and roles, fostering open communication, and deepening a culture of accountability.
Works in close collaboration with the President and CEO to ensure successful delivery on fundraising goals and objectives, managing and supporting the CEO’s relationship with the ~60 donors in the CEO’s portfolio along with directly managing a portfolio of an additional ~25 donors.
Deepens the culture of philanthropy throughout PPSNE, including partnering with the Executive Leadership team to maximize opportunities for fund development and philanthropic engagement at all levels.
Collaborates with leaders at PPFA in managing and cultivating shared donor relationships and federation-wide fundraising efforts.
Provides leadership and consultation as a member of the Executive Leadership team, across the organization to identify and implement policies, procedures, actions, interventions, and tactics that advance our work and meet our strategic and operational goals.
Serves as staff support to the PPSNE Board of Directors Philanthropy Committee and, in partnership with the CEO, the PPSNE Board of Directors Board Governance Committee.
Ensures timely and accurate reports to Planned Parenthood Federation of America and regulatory agencies.
Represents the organization at meetings, PPFA conferences, the PPFA DOC (Development Officers’ Council) affinity group, community events, conferences, and fundraising, as appropriate.
Other related duties as assigned.
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.Key Requirements
• Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of PPSNE
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the intersection with health and social justice
• Minimum of ten years’ experience in non-profit fundraising, with proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and close six-figure gifts from individuals, familiarity with all aspects of fund development, and a minimum of three years’ experience in team management
• Demonstrated success in fostering cross-departmental partnerships and collaborations to advance fundraising priorities
• Experience working closely with executive staff and volunteer leadership to engage and expand philanthropic support and culture
• Excellent cross-cultural communication skills (verbal and written)
• Strong understanding of how to effectively support donor relationships
• Experience implementing innovative initiatives within a complex organization
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic environment
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Master’s degree or legal degree or equivalent work experience strongly preferred in one or more of the following areas: fund development, non-profit governance, business administration, organizational development
• Certified Fund Raising Executive strongly preferredPersonal Attributes
• Collaborative, values-driven leader
• Strategic thinker with an analytic bent
• Orientation toward outcomes and impact
• Strong team-building skills
• Entrepreneurial nature
• Life-long learner
• Relationship focused connector
• Culturally responsiveLocation, Compensation, and Benefits
The position is located in New Haven, Connecticut. The role is responsible for the full geography of PPSNE. The CDO will divide their time between CT and RI as needed. Compensation is competitive. PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: