I would like to begin this message by focusing on National Philanthropy Day that took place virtually on November 13. We are one of a few chapters that ventured forth with both a Conference AND an Awards Program, which celebrated NPD’s 35th Anniversary. Thank you to Co-Chairs Yuri Casco, Genevieve Riutort, and Cassie Carter for an outstanding job for the first virtual NPD event. It was such a pleasure to partner with these outstanding professionals! A shout out to Jennifer Ellspermann who led the efforts for NPD sponsorships this year. And, to our administrators, Maple Street Management (Heather and Debbie) whose behind the scenes expertise support us in every way.
To provide a heads up - on Thanksgiving, check out the LA Times for a brief highlight of our National Philanthropy Day in the People On The Move section!
This is the final newsletter where I will be addressing members and friends as president of the GLA chapter. It truly has been a privilege to lead such a committed group – thank you for this opportunity!
In December, we will publish the AFP-GLAC Annual Report – The Year in Review.
Speaking of December, mark your calendars for two important dates:
- December 8 at 10:30 – Global’s IDEA webinar: Lisa Baxter, Danielle Lara and I will appear on a panel discussing IDEA successes for the chapter – presenting to all AFP members
- December 10 at 10:30 -Chapter Meeting and Holiday Celebration: Featured speaker will be Birgit Smith-Burton, president-elect of Global’s board of directors and chair, Global IDEA Committee. Following this motivational presentation, we will introduce the 2021 board, recognize Be The Cause & Chapter Fund donors, and provide some holiday treats.
“GRATITUDE IS THE BEST ATTITUDE”
I remind myself of the above inspiration daily, considering the tumultuous times we are living in. During this Thanksgiving holiday, when we are reminded of the things for which to be grateful, I am especially thankful for the outstanding 2020 leadership team, AFP-GLAC board of directors, with whom I had the honor of partnering with this year. Each person went above and beyond to ensure that we met the needs of our members. Thank you for your creativity, enthusiasm, support and dedication!
Wishing everyone a safe, healthy and especially HAPPY Thanksgiving!
Mauria McPoland, MPA, ABC
National Philanthropy Day -- a virtual success!
Our first virtual conference was held on Friday, November 13. We celebrated the 35th anniversary of National Philanthropy Day among friends and colleagues, recognizing amazing organizations and individuals doing wonderful philanthropic work in our communities.
Thank you for your continued support. We will share our Awards Program soon and for a small fee you'll be able to access our conference sessions.
We invite you to continue celebrating #NationalPhilanthopyDay by making a gift to honor a colleague, mentor or friend and help promote #GivingTuesday! Click here to provide a gift to AFP Greater Los Angeles Chapter. Your generosity allows us to continue supporting our members with scholarships to participate in educational activities such as this conference every year.
Thank you for all that you do for our communities and helping make the world a better place.
Yuri E. Casco, Cassie Carter, and Genevieve Riutort, Co-Chairs, 2020 NPD Conference & Awards Program
Up and At ‘Em Job Club
If you have been displaced during COVID or are looking to get into fundraising as a profession then the Up and At ‘Em Job Club is for you! We currently have one active cohort. If you are interested in starting another, we are here to assist. Looking for a job can be a daunting task, especially during a pandemic. Here’s what a few Job Club members have to say:
“A few of us are new to the area and/or new to fundraising, so it has been great to find common ground in the job search and skills development. We have had some fabulous presentations by Job Club members on things like networking and using LinkedIn.”
“Camaraderie. Especially during times of extended unemployment, which can become greater the higher one goes, it’s important to have support and not to feel alone.”
Feel free to reach out to Melanie Elliott, VP of Membership at email@example.com for more information.
2021 is Around the Corner
Let’s hope the New Year allows us to, once again, meet in person! In the meantime, we’ll be continuing with our monthly Afternoons with AFP-GLAC and continuing to provide you with membership information in our newsletters. Some things we are planning – virtual new member orientations, member spotlights in the newsletter, celebrating AFP anniversaries, and continuing our outreach calls.
If you have a suggestion or an idea of how we can increase membership participation or improve your membership experience, we want to hear from you.
Thank you so much for your support of AFP and our GLAC Chapter. We are stronger together!
Melanie Elliott, VP of Membership firstname.lastname@example.org
Members on the Move!
- Diana Corbin, 2021 board member, has recently earned the CFRE accreditation
- Randi Sunshine, Global IDEA Committee member, was featured in the October issue of Advancing Philanthropy on page 19: https://www.nxtbook.com/ygsreprints/AFP/AFP_Oct2020/index.php?startid=3#/p/18
- Lisa Baxter, AFP-GLAC IDEA VP, was a nominee for Global’s Emerging Leaders Awards
- Mauria McPoland, chapter president and Global Women’s Impact Initiative member, was highlighted along with AFP, our chapter and NPD in the following: LA Business Journal (10/26) and the LA Times (11/12). She was also a nominee for the LABJ Women’s Leadership Awards.
Are you or do you know a member on the move? Send the information to email@example.com.
Global News For Us
- Currently there are 200+ jobs listed on the new AFP Career Center. Find the one that is right for you!
- NEW POLICY FOR JOB POSTING: In order to promote gender and racial pay equity, AFP is leading the way and will be requiring salary ranges for all new positions posted on the AFP-GLAC Job Board beginning November 1, 2020. We understand this might be a significant change for some organizations, but all of us at AFP strongly believe this is an important shift in increasing equity, inclusion and fairness in the fundraising profession. Click here to read more regarding this policy. If the job description is submitted without the salary range we will return it and ask that it be updated to include that information.
- AFP's Compensation and Benefits Report Has Been Released https://afpglobal.org/2020-compensation-and-benefits-report-77-fundraisers-see-income-rise-2019-even-average-salary
Are you wanting news about our IDEA, Ethics, Sponsorships and Philanthropy Programs?
Be on the lookout during the following month for communication eblasts about these topics!