Philanthropy is “the love of humankind,” and National Philanthropy Day® (NPD) is the day that thousands of people around the world come together to both put that word into action and recognize the change that word has brought to our communities.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Okanagan Chapter is celebrating National Philanthropy Day® (NPD) with a call to action to the Okanagan community and a Mayoral Proclamation.
Canada has the second largest charitable and non-profit sector in the world1. NPD celebrates philanthropy, charitable accomplishments, and encourages Canadians to give back to their communities. This year’s Mayoral Proclamation recognizes the positive impact that giving, volunteering, and charitable engagement has in the Okanagan.
"Congratulations to the Association of Fundraising Professionals and I urge everyone in our community to support their good work by giving what they can, volunteering, or engaging with a local charitable organization."
- Colin Basran, City of Kelowna
Additional statistics according to AFP Canada1 and Imagine Canada, Sector Stats2:
- Canada has the 2nd largest charitable and non-profit sector in the world1.
- 2.4 million Canadians are employed at more than 170,000 non-profits and charities1.
- In 2014, approximately $18.5 billion in annual donations were received by Canadian charities1.
- The charitable and non-profit sector accounts for 8.5% of Canada’s GDP1.
- 13 million Canadians volunteer their time- that is equivalent to 44% of all Canadians2.
- Annual contributions to Canadian economy of over $169 billion1.
The purpose of the Okanagan Chapter of AFP is to inspire philanthropy in our community. AFP provides professional networking, roundtable sessions, educational programs, and mentorship for all levels of fundraising. The AFP Okanagan Chapter consists of 40+ member organizations in the Okanagan and across BC’s Interior.