Position Title: Development Director
Organization: Oneida Health/Oneida Health Foundation
City, State: Oneida, NY
Posting Start Date: 8/1/2019
Posting End Date: Open until Filled
Oneida Health is an independent 101-bed acute care community hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
We are proud to share that we have recognized for several national awards based upon safety of care as well as the patient experience of care. The first recognition is provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nationally recognized non-profit organization who reviews 30 patient quality and safety measures and assigns a letter grade to over 2,600 hospitals nationally based upon outcomes. The spring 2019 letter grade for OHC is a “B.”, our seventh consecutive “A” or "B".
The second recognition is for the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient safety and is 1 of only 16 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019. The third recognition is for the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award. Our hospital is among the top 10% nationally for patient experience and is 1 of only 8 hospitals in New York to receive this award for 2019...with Oneida Health as the only hospital in New York State to receive both awards for 2019! We are also very proud of our CMS 4-Star overall rating for patient experience.
The Development Director is responsible for the effective planning, development, and coordination of the fundraising program in support of Oneida Health/Oneida Health Foundation (OH/OHF). In fulfilling this responsibility, the Director will pursue the primary objectives below:
- Work directly with the CEO and President and Board Members to build relationships that renew and increase donor and fundraising volunteer support
- Educate and involve donors and volunteers about the programs and services offered by OH/OHF
- Invite donors and volunteers to help by giving and soliciting gifts and pledges
- Recognize and reward donors and volunteers for their commitment s, contributions and faithful service
- Fully understand support the fundraising policies and procedures of OH/OHF
- Be responsible for the smooth and efficient operation of the fundraising program, the effective management of all staff, and such other committees as may be established.
- Adhere to specific requests or restrictions by the donor pertaining to their gift, always ensuring that the donors’ interest in making the gift is upheld.
- Establish effective working relationship with peers, board members, senior leaders, physicians, community leaders, volunteers, in an effort to promote the mission of OH by bringing financial support to bear.
- Develop a partnership with foundation directors in the philanthropic process by actively engaging all board members in the fundraising activities of the Foundation
- Organize, develop and implement an effective structure that provides for efficient, effective and timely provision of services encompassing all Foundation activities.
- Plan and implement active fundraising tactics including:
- Annual Giving – STEP toward the Future Fund
- Donor Acquisition
- Major & Special Gifts - $1000+
- Capital Campaigns
- Corporate/Foundation Sponsorship Programs
- Planning Giving
- Event Planning
- Prepare and administer annual philanthropy business plans and operating budgets to accomplish Foundation goals and objectives for all fundraising activities
- Manage a computerized system by which donations are recorded, receipted and acknowledge to ensure that accurate financial records and files are maintained. Working closely with Finance, ensure that IRS and donor requirement are met and that restricted gifts are appropriately directed.
- Identify, research and cultivate potential sources of gift support including Foundation directors, physicians, employees, volunteers, patients, other individuals, businesses and foundations.
- Direct foundation board directors and other volunteer fundraisers in the research, cultivation and solicitation of major gift prospects, maintaining contact and strengthening relationships with donors. Provide stewardship ongoing
- Advance the growth of endowment through the promotion of planned giving to include:
- Identification of prospects;
- Facilitation of planned giving services to donors and their professional advisors; and
- Educational programs on the financial and estate planning benefits of charitable giving.
- Develop donor giving, recognition and stewardship programs including a donor visitation program, appreciation events, named gift opportunities and plaque maintenance.
- Oversee the research, writing, submission and stewardship of grant proposals to major gifts, corporate and Foundation prospects
- Prepare monthly and annual reports and review with Foundation Treasurer, Foundation finance support staff, and OH CFO & Controller as needed
- Prepare quarterly fundraising income and expense report for board meeting and share findings with board members
- Maintain cordial and effective relationships with all segments of the media, elected government representatives and other community leaders; collaborate appropriately to ensure an effective promotion of fundraising activities.
- Coordinate, write and distribute internal and external publications, newsletters, handbooks, catalogs and brochures in support of the Foundation’s initiatives and activities.
- Participate in professional fundraising organizations to enhance knowledge of philanthropic trends and changes in tax laws that effect charitable giving.
- Support the Foundation philanthropically and participate in local civic, business and cultural organizations as appropriate
- Facilitate and coordinate positive relationships with consultants, vendors, and other outside entities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s preferred
- Proven track record of planning and implementing fundraising projects and secure funds
- Take initiative whether working alone or with a team
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Some travel and off hours such as nights and weekends required
- Fundraising professional association membership – AFP, AHP, NANOE beneficial.
To apply, please e-mail your resume to Michael Messersmith at firstname.lastname@example.org.