About Our Chapter

History:
The South Dakota Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals organized in 1986 so that fundraisers in South Dakota could be a part of an organization that fosters professionalism and high ethical standards, promotes networking among fundraisers and offers opportunities for continuing education. The chapter has grown to about 100 members.

Because AFP SD represents a large geographic area, area groups meet regularly for continuing education and networking in Sioux Falls, in Rapid City and via Zoom. In addition to those meetings, we offer continuing education during an annual conference at the National Philanthropy Day celebration and other periodic trainings.

Membership benefits offered by chapter:

• Mentorship program
  • Newsletter
  • Professional development
  • Regional conference
  • Speakers
  • Local networking
  • Collegiality

Some thoughts about the South Dakota Chapter:

"AFP has helped me create a network of fundraising colleagues I can call anytime to ask advice, cry on their shoulder, or with whom I can celebrate a success. The AFP monthly meetings and the recent development of the online and recorded meetings is a game changer for me! Now I can learn every month from individuals who are facing the same professional challenges I am, even if I cannot attend in person."
- Virginia Wishard Lambert, Director of Development, Abbott House, Mitchell

"Like many of our members, involvement in SD AFP has been a blessing to me. Our chapter offers countless opportunities for engagement and professional growth. These experiences have been essential to my professional journey."
- Dzenan Berberovic, CFRE, Chief Philanthropy Officer, Avera Health, Sioux Falls

"AFP allows me to seek unique educational opportunities on the local and national level. In addition, I’m able to share my professional experiences with colleagues at seminars, meetings and social opportunities. AFP is essential for all philanthropy professionals. One must be willing to learn, share and grow in this wonderful profession. AFP provides the avenue for this growth and invariably for success."
- Michael McNeely, CFRE, President & CEO, Abbey Group, Rapid City

"The resources AFP provides have helped our organization raise more funds and even secured better wages for staff. From using the AFP website to tapping more knowledgeable professionals throughout the state, I have received much more benefit as a member of AFP than the dues I’ve paid into it. Fellow members of AFP have the expertise in raising funds in such a unique state, and are willing to show us the way through AFP’s Mentoring Program and conducting training sessions at state and local conferences. You get your money’s worth as an AFP member."
- Brian Loken, Development Director, LifeQuest Foundation, Mitchell

"I highly value the connectivity with my fellow nonprofit professionals, not only locally here in the Black Hills, but across our state and nation. People in all phases of their careers, who bring a vast and diverse knowledge base and are always gracious in sharing their experiences, insights and ideas."
- Ronda Gusinsky, Executive Director, LifeSight, Rapid City